Wind turbines in Rio Vista, California, US, on Thursday, Aug. 28, 2025.
David Paul Morris | Bloomberg | Getty Images
The Department of Transportation on Friday canceled $679 million in federal funding for a dozen offshore wind projects in the U.S., the latest attack in President Donald Trump’s campaign to kill wind power in the U.S.
“Wasteful, wind projects are using resources that could otherwise go towards revitalizing America’s maritime industry,”U.S. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy said in a statement.
The Department of Interior last week ordered Denmark’s Orsted to halt work on the Revolution Wind project off the coast of New England. The fully permitted project is 80% complete with 45 of 65 turbines already built. Orsted shares tumbled to a record low on Monday in the aftermath of the work stoppage.
The Department of Transportation said the funding will be repurposed to upgrade ports and other infrastructure in the U.S. where possible.
Funds for the following projects have been withdrawn:
- Sparrows Point Steel Marshalling Port Project (PIDP; $47,392,500)
- Bridgeport Port Authority Operations and Maintenance Wind Port Project (PIDP;$10,530,000)
- Wind Port at Paulsboro (PIDP; $20,494,025)
- Arthur Kill Terminal (PIDP; $48,008,231)
- Gateway Upgrades for Access, Resiliency & Development at the Port of Davisville Project (PIDP; $11,250,000)
- Norfolk Offshore Wind Logistics Port (PIDP; $39,265,000)
- Humboldt Bay Offshore Wind (INFRA; $426,719,810)
Funds for the the following projects have been terminated:
- Redwood Marine Terminal Project Planning (PIDP; $8,672,986)
- Salem Wind Port Project (PIDP; $33,835,953)
- Lake Erie Renewable Energy Resilience Project (PIDP; $11,051,586)
- Radio Island Rail Improvements in Support of Offshore Wind (PIDP; $1,679,604)
- PMT Offshore Wind Development (PIDP; $20,000,000)
