Minority owner Jeanie Buss of the Los Angeles Lakers and her husband, Jay Mohr, prior a first round NBA playoffs game between the Lakers and the Minnesota Timberwolves at Crypto.com Arena in Los Angeles, April 19, 2025.
Keith Birmingham | MediaNews Group | Pasadena Star-News | Getty Images
Los Angeles Lakers governor Jeanie Buss is opposing the potential sale of her family’s stake in the NBA team to Bob Iger and Joshua Kushner, contradicting an earlier ESPN report about the family’s decision.
In a letter obtained by CNBC addressed to law firms representing Jeanie Buss’s siblings — Jim, Johnny, Janie, Joey and Jesse — lawyer Adam Streisand says Jeanie Buss has not agreed to sell the team and that any vote suggesting the Buss family is selling “would be and is void.”
Streisand argues in the letter that Jeanie Buss remains the controlling shareholder of the Lakers, pursuant to a 2017 court order, and that no sale can take place without her consent.
“No sale of the JAB Trust’s 17.8% ownership interest in the Los Angeles Lakers, Inc. can be effectuated without approval by the current co-trustees, i.e., Jeanie, Janie and Joey Buss. Pursuant to the JAB Trust and the attached Court Order, the co-trustees are bound to vote the Los Angeles Lakers, Inc. shares to ensure that the minimum 15% ownership requirement is maintained in order to ensure that Jeanie Buss may remain Controlling Owner,” the letter says.
Buss doesn’t want to sell the family’s stake in the team at this time, according to a person familiar with the matter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity about confidential matters.
Last week, Iger and Kushner agreed to buy Mark Walter’s majority stake in the Lakers. That deal valued the team at $12.5 billion, CNBC reported at the time.
Read the full letter from Jeanie Buss’s attorney:
This story is developing. Please check back for updates.
Correction: A previous headline on this article misidentified one of the potential buyers of the Buss family stake in the Los Angeles Lakers.
